The Procedure Of Applying For And Extending A Student Visa

Applying for a student visa is usually done by the student in his home country.

The student will receive their admission from a qualified Canadian education institution, and with that admission paper they can apply for the student visa. They receive a student visa and apply for an entry visa, if required. With both permits, they can then study at the specific qualifying education institution they applied for.

But what happens if you start studying at the University of Waterloo in computer engineering for a couple of years out of your 4-year permit period, and all of a sudden you decide you need to enrol in the MBA program at Western? Usually, you will be allowed to transfer without changing the student visa. It used be that you would have to apply all over again, because your permit was issued for a particular educational institution. This policy has now been changed. As long as the level of study is consistent, meaning that you are at one university and transfer to another university, then they would allow the transfer without the student having to make another visa application.

If there is an expiry date, then two months before the expiry date, the student needs to apply to extend the student visa. They can do that in Canada by changing the conditions of the stay, or they can go outside of Canada and apply as if it is the first time. The difficult part arises when the student has applied to extend their visa and the original visa has already expired. In that case, the student must stay in Canada until receiving the extension. If they leave the country while waiting for their extension, their application will fail.


This information is taken from an interview from April 22, 2008 interview with Jennifer Roggemann, Immigration Lawyer with Jennifer Roggemann Law Office, a Kitchener Ontario Canada Immigration Law Firm. This article is provided as an information service only and should not be used as legal advice. Laws vary by jurisdiction so please consult with an appropriate legal professional if you are looking for help with a specific situation.