How The Provincial Nominee Program Applies To Students

Most of the provinces and the federal government have come to realize that foreign students make some of the very best immigrants to Canada.

They are already here and are acclimatized. They have already adapted to our society and are familiar with the culture, economy, and even the weather. If they still want to stay after they have completed their education here, then they are likely to do well because they should have adequate language ability. The government has tried to develop programs that help students stay in Canada. This is an ever-changing environment. The federal government is soon to announce a new program to assist both students and workers, but in the meantime, some of the provinces have relaxed their rules so that students can apply for immigration much more quickly and don’t have to go home first.

Both students and skilled workers are an important investment in two ways. These people have invested in their futures, but to some extent Canada has invested in them too, and it is a shame to lose that investment, especially when we know that those people tend to do so well in our society both economically and culturally. There have been many barriers in the past, and it is really good to see some of those barriers coming down. The provincial nominee programs have been leading the way, but the federal government is not far behind with some innovative ideas including allowing students to work after they graduate for up to two years on a work permit which helps them qualify for permanent resident status. Some provinces have become more innovative, developing programs in which students don’t have to work for a full year before they apply for permanent residence as they would with the federal program. Provinces that have developed these kinds of programs have a good chance of keeping their students.

If you, or someone you care about, is dealing with immigration law issues in the Calgary, Alberta Region, contact Sherritt Greene Barristers & Solicitors for a consultation.

This article is taken from a March 18, 2008 interview with Michael Greene an immigration lawyer with Sherritt Greene Barristers & Solicitors, a Calgary Immigration Law Firm. Note that laws vary from province to province. Please consult with a lawyer in your own area to be sure of the laws and specific issues in your own jurisdiction.