How An Extra Three Years Of Work Experience Benefits Students Looking For Permanent Residency Status

If you are a student who is here on a study permit, being able to stay for three years after graduation and find work provides a number of benefits, especially if you want to apply for permanent residency.

One advantage is that by being able to stay in Canada and work for the three years, you will receive additional points if you are applying for permanent residency on the point system, because you will now have at least one year of work experience.

Another advantage is that it gives you a longer period of time to find a match in terms of employment. You might start a job and find that it is not quite working out. But you do not have to feel obligated to stick it out for three years because now you have the flexibility of perhaps moving to something different and finding a better match for you.

The third advantage is that three years of work after graduation gives you that extra experience in Canada. It ties in with what the government is now proposing, which is the in-Canada work experience class. In this classification of application for permanent residency, if you work in Canada at certain jobs for certain periods of time, you will be allowed to apply for permanent residence status from within Canada. This program has not been enacted yet but it is being discussed.

One more advantage is that you may, in that three-year period, find an employer who is a good match for you and who wants to keep you. Depending which province you are in, the employer could apply for a selection certificate for you under the provincial nominee programs, which would then give you a fast track towards permanent residence status.

If you, or someone you care about, is dealing with immigration law issues in the Vancouver, British Columbia Region, contact Embarkation Law Group for a consultation.

This article is taken from a June 13, 2008 interview with Darryl W. Larson B.Comm., LL.B. an immigration lawyer with Embarkation Law Group, a Vancouver immigration Law Firm. Note that laws vary from province to province. Please consult with a lawyer in your own area to be sure of the laws and specific issues in your own jurisdiction.