How The Post Graduation Work Permit Program Can Assist International Students In Achieving Permanent Residency

The Post Graduation Work Permit program can benefit international students who wish to apply for residency status in Canada.

One of the basic requirements for permanent residency as a skilled worker is that the applicant should have worked for more than one year in full time employment. Now that graduates can go anywhere and work for three years on the new work permit, they already have a big advantage. This new program allows the student to qualify for more points, as opposed to the old program, which only allowed the graduate to work for one year.

If a student gets accepted at a Canadian educational institution, studies in Canada for three years, then works for three years, he will receive additional points on several levels. First of all, the years of study allow the student to gain additional points in his skilled worker application as well as in adaptability points, because the student has already lived in Canada. Then, when the student graduates, he can find a job anywhere for up to three years, which means he could combine his work experience both at home and in Canada in order to be able to get the highest, maximum points for work experience on the skilled worker application. That is a huge benefit.

Usually the waiting time for skilled worker applications is about a year and a half to two years. This program will allow the student to apply and get the result of his skilled worker application while remaining in Canada on the work permit, rather than having to apply from outside of Canada. So this is a huge benefit for students who graduate from a Canadian educational institution and who would like to stay in Canada and apply for a permanent resident status in Canada.

We want to attract and keep educated, qualified people with high skills, so the Post Graduation Work Permit program is a positive change in legislation that benefits not only international students, but Canada as well.

If you, or someone you care about, is dealing with immigration law issues in the Toronto, Ontario Region, contact Hohots Watt LLP for a consultation.

This information is taken from an interview from May 21, 2008 interview with Viktor Hohots, Immigration Lawyer with Hohots Watt LLP, a Toronto Ontario Canada Immigration Law Firm. This article is provided as an information service only and should not be used as legal advice. Laws vary by jurisdiction so please consult with an appropriate legal professional if you are looking for help with a specific situation.