Why Immigrants Choose The Investor Status Option

The investor status option is appropriate for people who have business experience and a certain amount of cash to invest.

The points required to qualify under the investor program is about one half of those required for a skilled worker.

For the Federal and the Quebec investor programs there are no required qualifications to be proficient in English or French. All the provinces, with the exception of Nova Scotia have provincial business nominee programs. They do offer points for language proficiency, but because the points’ threshold is so low, many investors simply waive any kind of testing and get their points without reference to language. The provincial business nominee programs are a little more concerned about language ability because, though most of those programs are investor programs, they also expect the nominee to take a hands-on approach to doing business in their province.

Another reason why you might choose the investor status category is that the processing times are faster than that of the skilled worker status. This hasn’t always been the case, but in recent years the Federal government has put more emphasis on the investor program and increased the number of targeted applications. This year they are planning to double their applications over last year.

The advantage of the business investment program is that, unlike the skilled worker program, the applicant doesn’t need an employer to say, “I want to hire you.” the applicant can come with a business plan and do this more on his or her own initiative as opposed to having an employer initiate the plan.

If you, or someone you care about, is dealing with immigration law issues in the Vancouver, British Columbia Region, contact Embarkation Law Group for a consultation.

This article is taken from a October 1, 2007 interview with Darryl W. Larson B.Comm., LL.B. an immigration lawyer with Embarkation Law Group, a Vancouver immigration Law Firm. Note that laws vary from province to province. Please consult with a lawyer in your own area to be sure of the laws and specific issues in your own jurisdiction.