The Eligibility Requirements When Sponsoring A Spouse To Come To Canada.

There are many conditions that apply to you when you are sponsoring a spouse or a family member to Canada. First of all, you have to be 18 years of age or older. You have to be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. And, you either have to reside in Canada or intend to reside in Canada when the sponsored person comes to Canada. You cannot be on social assistance for any reason other than disability. You can’t be an undischarged bankrupt. If you’ve sponsored a previous family member and they have gone on social assistance, you cannot sponsor any more family members until you pay back social assistance in the entire amount that the sponsored family member has taken from social assistance.

You can’t sponsor if you’re under a removal order from Canada. You can’t sponsor if you’re detained in prison or jail. And, if in the 5 years preceding your application to sponsor, you’ve been convicted of a sexual offense or an offense against the person of one of your family members, then you can’t sponsor. And, if you’re in default of a court order to make support payments to your spouse, former spouse, common-law partner or former common-law partner or child, you cannot sponsor somebody to Canada.

Financial stability is an important qualification and there is a low income cutoff, which is the minimum income required for the number of family members in the family unit. If you already have a wife and 2 children, there would be 4 people in your family unit. When you sponsor your parents, your family unit now numbers 6. If you live in the Ottawa area and you have a family unit of 6, you and your wife would be required to have approximately $50,000 in annual salary before taxes.