How A Lawyer Can Help Determine If You Have A Claim For Compensation For Personal Injury In A Dangerous Premises Claim

If someone is injured on someone else’s property, a lawyer can help in determining whether or not the injured person has a claim for compensation.

The first thing we have to look at is whether there was some negligence on the part of the occupier, landlord or owner of the land. There are a number of different people, companies or businesses who might be responsible. So, we have to look at the circumstances. Just because somebody did fall and injure themselves doesn’t necessarily mean that they have a claim. It may not be a compensable injury if it’s entirely the victim’s own fault.

Obviously people have the responsibility to take all care they can for their own safety. To take an extreme example, they may be trespassing on somebody’s land at night. It’s unlit, they are drunk, and they trip over something. In such a case, they are probably not going to be able to proceed with a claim. There are just too many negatives against them. They are the ones who contributed to the injury. They were not taking all care they could for their own safety. That, however, would be an extreme example.

What’s important is that the injured person realizes what they need to lay the ground work for a claim. They need to make sure that they get witness names, since there may be nobody else getting that information. They need to make sure there’s an incident report filed with whoever would be appropriate, and they need to get medical attention. Having done that, they should then consult with a lawyer who can help determine if they have a possible claim for compensation.

If you, or someone you care about, is dealing with Personal injury law issues in the Vancouver, British Columbia Region, contact Stephens & Holman.

This article is taken from a December 2, 2008 interview with Simon Holman, LL.B., Personal Injury Lawyer with Stephens & Holman in Vancouver , a Personal Injury Law Firm.

Note that laws vary from province to province. Please consult with a lawyer in your own area to be sure of the laws and specific issues in your own jurisdiction.