New PhD Eligibility Stream under the Federal Skilled Worker Class

As of November 5th, 2011, international students pursuing PhD studies at qualified Canadian educational institutions may apply under the Federal Skilled Worker PhD Eligibility Stream.

How to be qualified:

  • 1. Your application MUST be received after November 5th, 2011 by the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
  • 2. You must be either:
    a. an international student who is currently enrolled in a PhD program, by a qualified Canadian educational institution AND who has completed at least 2 years towards the completion of your PhD AND who is in good academic standing AND who is NOT a recipient of a Government of Canada award requiring you to return to your home country


  • b. a graduate of a PhD program from a qualified Canadian educational institution within 12 months from the date of your application to CIO Sydney, Nova Scotia who is not a recipient of a Government of Canada award requiring you to return to your home country or you have completed such requirement already.
  • 3. You must still meet all other requirements of the Federal Skilled Worker class, as well as the minimum requirements and minimum pass mark in order to be qualified under this stream.
    Only 1,000 applications per year are allocated for this program, starting November 5th, 2011 to October 31st, 2012.

The material in this article is only for general information. For your specific situation, please consult a professional before you submit your application.

If you, or someone you care about, is dealing with immigration law issues in the Kitchener, Ontario Region, contact Jennifer Roggemann Law Office for a consultation.

This information is taken from an interview from Nov 7, 2011 interview with Jennifer Roggemann, Immigration Lawyer with Jennifer Roggemann Law Office, a Kitchener Ontario Canada Immigration Law Firm. This article and website provide general information on legal and related matters and should not be relied upon as legal advice. If you require legal advice, you should consult and retain qualified legal professionals in your area to advise you about your particular situation and the law in your jurisdiction as laws vary from province to province, state to state and country to country.