What is the “Super Visa” for Parents and Grandparents

Effective December 1st, 2011, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) provides a special visitor’s visa for parents and grandparents from overseas to stay in Canada with their children and grandchildren for extended period of time – up to two (2) years.

On November 4th, 2011, CIC announced a temporary pause on all new sponsorship applications for the parents and grandparents category. In order to provide some support, CIC is now providing the visa – “Super Visa” – for parents and grandparents to visit their children and grandchildren in Canada for an extended period of time – up to two (2) years.

Who qualifies for the Super Visa?

  • 1. The applicant must have provided proof of the parent and grandparents relationship to the Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident;
  • 2. The applicant must have undergone a medical examination by the Immigration Designated Medical Officer (doctors) and is admissible on health grounds;
  • 3. The applicant must have provided satisfactory evidence of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company, valid for a minimum period of one (1) year from the day of entry that covers the applicant for health care, hospitalization and repatriation, and provides a minimum of $100,000 coverage and is valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by the CIC or CBSA officer upon request;
  • 4. The applicant must have provided a written and signed promise of financial support, such as an invitation letter, from the host child or grandchild for the entire time that the applicant intends to stay in Canada. Such letter must include any and all evidence of their means of providing such support – such as meeting LICO for the total number of persons including visiting parents or grandparents.

Features of the Super Visa if issued could be EITHER:

  • 1. a multiple-entry temporary resident visa ($150 as a filing fee) for the duration of the validity period of the applicant’s passport less one month, up to maximum duration of 10 years – If the passport has a shorter validity date than 10 years – for example, only five years in duration, then the Super Visa cannot be issued more than four years and eleven months; OR
  • 2. A single-entry temporary resident visa for the duration of six months where a single-entry fee has been paid ($75.00 as a filing fee) OR
  • 3. A letter of introduction, for visa exempt nationals who have submitted an (IMM 5247) application with no fees, for the requested extended stay of up to two years or to the expiry of the applicant’s passport, whichever is less.

The material in this article is only for general information. For your specific situation, please consult a professional before you submit your application.

If you, or someone you care about, is dealing with immigration law issues in the Kitchener, Ontario Region, contact Jennifer Roggemann Law Office for a consultation.

This information is taken from an interview from November, 2011 interview with Jennifer Roggemann, Immigration Lawyer with Jennifer Roggemann Law Office, a Kitchener Ontario Canada Immigration Law Firm. This article and website provide general information on legal and related matters and should not be relied upon as legal advice. If you require legal advice, you should consult and retain qualified legal professionals in your area to advise you about your particular situation and the law in your jurisdiction as laws vary from province to province, state to state and country to country.