Issuance of Open Work Permits For Live-In Caregivers Class

As of December 15th, 2011, people who are under the live-in caregiver program who have submitted an application for permanent residence under such class AND have also submitted an application for an open work permit will be issued an open work permit for a duration of up to four (4) years as long as their passports are valid up to four (4) years as well.

Due to the lengthy waiting time for processing a permanent resident application for live-in-caregivers who have completed their eligible work requirement, they have no choice but to work with their employer until they receive the initial approval from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Since it takes, on average, more than 18 months for the initial approval to be completed, the live-in-caregivers may have to work for their employer continuously as live-in-caregivers or even have to find another employer for another two years before they can work with an open work permit.

By submitting their permanent resident application along with their open work permit application, they will be able to receive an open work permit for up to four (4) years even though their application is not approved in principle. While their application is in progress, they will be able to obtain an open work permit to pursue other employment or to allow them to establish their own accommodations outside of their employer’s residence.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will check if the applicant has had a work permit as a live-in-caregiver for the past two years when the applicant submits both the permanent resident application AND open work permit application before issuing an open work permit with four (4) year period.

The material in this article is only for general information. For your specific situation, please consult a professional before you submit your application.

If you, or someone you care about, is dealing with immigration law issues in the Kitchener, Ontario Region, contact Jennifer Roggemann Law Office for a consultation.

This information is taken from an interview from December, 2011 interview with Jennifer Roggemann, Immigration Lawyer with Jennifer Roggemann Law Office, a Kitchener Ontario Canada Immigration Law Firm. This article and website provide general information on legal and related matters and should not be relied upon as legal advice. If you require legal advice, you should consult and retain qualified legal professionals in your area to advise you about your particular situation and the law in your jurisdiction as laws vary from province to province, state to state and country to country.