ONE TIME Fee Exemption for Temporary Resident Permits Issued to Foreign Nationals who are Inadmissible on Criminality Grounds

If you are a foreign national—not a Canadian citizen—and have certain criminal records, such as driving under influence (DUI), then you may not be able to enter into Canada without applying for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP), which costs $200.00 as a fee to apply for such entry.

On January 13, 2012 the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism issued the public policy considerations that in his opinion justify the granting of a one-time exemption from the TRP processing fee that is required under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) for foreign nationals who meet the conditions of this public policy.

As of March 1, 2012, the public policy exemption would apply to an foreign national to whom a TRP is being issued at a port of entry (POE) or a visa office abroad, who is inadmissible solely on the grounds of “criminality” under section 36(2) of IRPA, and who:

1. was convicted of an offence and received no term of imprisonment as part of the sentence imposed; and
2. has had no other convictions or committed any other acts that would render the person inadmissible.

It is important to note that this fee exemption is applicable for only one time.

This public policy does not apply to foreign nationals who are already in Canada.

This information is taken from an interview from February, 2011 interview with Jennifer Roggemann, Immigration Lawyer with Jennifer Roggemann Law Office, a Kitchener Ontario Canada Immigration Law Firm. This article and website provide general information on legal and related matters and should not be relied upon as legal advice. If you require legal advice, you should consult and retain qualified legal professionals in your area to advise you about your particular situation and the law in your jurisdiction as laws vary from province to province, state to state and country to country.