Bridging the Gap – New Work Permit Available For Some New PR Applicants

Are you a foreign national currently working in Canada?

Is your current, valid work permit expiring in the next 4 months?

Have you submitted an application for Permanent Residence (PR) under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Canadian Experience Class, the Provincial Nominee Program, or the Federal Skilled Trades Program?

AND… Do you meet the eligibility requirements under the class for which you applied?

If you answered “yes” to all of these questions, you MAY be considered for a Bridging Open Work Permit.  This one-year permit is designed to bridge the gap between when your current permit expires and the completion of your PR application.  It is not restricted to a particular employer – although if you’ve applied under a Provincial Nominee Program, the bridging permit will be restricted to the province in which you made your PR application.

You have to specifically ask to be considered for this bridging permit, or you will be processed through the standard system.  If you’ve already applied for a work permit under the standard system, which requires you to obtain a new Labour Market Opinion, you will be issued the standard, employer-specific work permit.

Other fine print:

  • This bridging permit may be extended on a case-by-case basis if required.
  • If you have not completed your medical examination, your bridging permit may have restrictions on your work environment.